Thursday, June 15, 2017

Father's Day Is Sunday!

He was my hero, my knight in shining armor and Superman all rolled into one loud, outspoken dynamo.  He was so proud of his sons and treated us like royalty.  He taught me so much that kept me out of trouble and helped me stay out of trouble if it did come around.  



Folks either loved him or avoided him.  Didn't seem to be too many in between, as he took over a room as soon as he walked in.  It became his show and he was the MC and the entertainment if needed.  It was all a part of a day's work being my Dad.  And you guys think I am loud?  Barely a whisper beside dear old Dad for real...



Dad was an athlete, still holds records in several sports at his high school and played some minor league baseball.  He was an exceptional golfer, pool player and card player, and was nearly impossible to beat even playing for fun.  He was the most competitive Putt-Putt player to not go pro I've ever witnessed.



I remember him mostly driving trucks, but he was also on the city fire department for a few years and even owned his own service station/garage for a while.  After my brother got old enough for ME to take care of, my mother joined him on the road as a passenger/companion for his treks to the west coast.  The night he pulled in front of the house, tossed out a couple of suitcases and drove off will never be forgotten.  It wasn't my mother on the other side of the street, it was Dad!  "Who's driving the truck?"  "Your mother."



And that's just part of the story.  I'm misty-eyed right now just considering which photos to include with this one.  Glad I thought ahead to prepare this ahead of Sunday, when I know I'll be working on websites and editing photos.  My Dad was the best.  He's been gone nearly 25 years, but not a single day goes by that I don't think of something he said, or how he would react, or something crazy he'd do to make you laugh...




No comments:

Post a Comment

Well, Here We Are!

Well, Here We Are!  Still in a pandemic panic, media driven, Democrat-approved, still arguing the November election.  All of that "new ...