Monday, October 17, 2016

Nuts and Bolts

Had a wonderful 'guest' here today, a gentleman who I didn't even get his name.  He was born in Mexico and worked 15 years as a cook on a ship, he's seen the world and had GREAT stories.  He laughed when I commented that my cat, Pip, is a "yankee" cat (he's from MD, so technically not a 'yankee') and the word "gringo" came out of his mouth.  The two other Mexican folks with him froze until they realized the conversation we were having.

Classic TV was playing in the background, a black and white episode of Gunsmoke showing as he asked if I knew who Pancho Villa was.  Knowing him, he explains that the president of the US ordered the army to capture him.  At that point in time our army was wearing green uniforms, earlier versions of todays.  Villa instructed his people to form a line of sentries to be on the lookout for the green-clad army.  When you spot them, you rush to the next sentry station and report you've seen the 'green' and you need to 'go' to the next sentry station and so on.  So the phrase used by the exhausted sentries was actually "Green!  Go!"

So I'm told that's where the term "gringo" comes from, and it's not said to be any sort of slur or insult.  I guess if he wasn't such a likable guy, I could have whipped out my photos from CMLL in 2006 and tell him that me and Canek are besties, but I didn't.  Great guy, great worker, he leaves me with an apartment looking 100% better than it did when he arrived.  Pleasant surprise of the day, CHECK!




And yes, I AM getting evil with a CNN Don Lemon graphic, which I have altered to allow me to add photos and a CNN caption to.  I've made a handful already and I'm sure there will be more!



For the old schoolers, I did a half-baked series of photos of both Otto Schwanz and Playboy Tripp.  Found one that was never published.  Enjoy, ya'll!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Well, Here We Are!

Well, Here We Are!  Still in a pandemic panic, media driven, Democrat-approved, still arguing the November election.  All of that "new ...