Monday, November 19, 2018

RoxX and Roll

We finished off vocals on the Shocking Blue's "Venus" and it wasn't until we got in headphones that I realize that the original song had a woman and two men who don't speak English as their first language basically singing lead together.  And in studio, I had to learn the WOMAN'S part, which is not what I've heard for years in my mind.  After all's said and done, we made it happen.  I'm really proud of the first mixes of the song and equally as proud of Tommy re-recording his vocals and reworking the ending of the Beatles' cover "There's A Place" which we recorded months ago.  

Tommy brought up the fact that when we release Venus that he wants to dedicate it to my mother, who encouraged both of us to make music as children and later as adults.  This was one of her songs.  My mother was one of the few people who knew that I had set up a place in the spare bedroom to practice singing and playing bass years ago and she was more excited about it at first than even I was.  It's no lie, she's why I do it today, especially the song writing, because I still have the urge to make her proud of me.  And she totally encouraged musical self-expression and had a diverse catalog of music she enjoyed listening to, from 50's classics to (dare I say) Scandinavian Death Metal and I can't thank her enough for keeping me up past my childhood bedtime to see the Beatles on the Ed Sullivan Show.  Yeah.  We go way back with our love of music.  That has to be it.  She allowed me to blast the neighborhood hours at a time with my guitars and stereos over the years with a smile.


I am having more fun today than ever on the pro wrestling side of life.  Helped my friend Jimmy Harris raise $1853.00 for Relay for Life Sunday before last at BCW CRUSHING CANCER in Burlington.  We tore down the house this Saturday at the Sportatorium at CWF ULTIMATE SURVIVOR XVI.  We kicked arse on Twitch, too, according to the viewer numbers we saw.  There are (count 'em) three more events on my calendar in 2018, all in December.  CWF Road To Battlecade hits on Dec. 1; CWF Rising Generation League returns on Dec. 8 and then the BIG one, CWF BATTLECADE XIX is on Dec. 29!  Year 20 of CWF Mid-Atlantic kicks off in January 2019 with CWF NEW YEAR'S KNOCKOUT!  Tickets now at cwftickets.com for ALL events!

Karen's apparently not retired yet and is still working full-time in the retail environment, so I'm back to full-time driver for the crazy season around Thanksgiving heading into Christmas.  Kind of wondering if I'll have to rent again before the year's over, Enterprise has thrown me a few curve balls in the past month.  Had to rent for two shows two weekends ago and they put me in a 2018 Dodge Challenger.  What a ride.  This past weekend, the plopped my behind into a 2018 Ford F-150 STX Super Club Cab pickup bus.  Er, truck.  I'd get a ticket in a second in the Dodge and the Ford had a surprisingly great ride.  I'd take either again if they are "out of the car size I reserved" I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Well, Here We Are!

Well, Here We Are!  Still in a pandemic panic, media driven, Democrat-approved, still arguing the November election.  All of that "new ...